Saturday, May 4

Moray Cafe (New Farm, QLD)

Re-stumbling upon Moray Cafe, I gathered the girls for a little catch-up session and hoped that their dinner options wouldn't be disappointing despite the cheaper price on their normal menu for what they call their "Tight-Ass Tuesdays."  The last time I was here was for breakfast, and it was quite a while ago.  I didn't find it astounding last time, but it was decent, so I thought that I'd give dinner a try...

Moray offers a good variety for dinner - from gnocchi to lamb ribs to hamburgers - which is definitely one of its appeals.  Lately, I've been extremely indecisive, which isn't my usual self, so I had a hard time deciding on what I wanted!  I ended up going with the lamb ribs and papaya salad Vietnamese style, the latter of which I'm a big fan of.  I was impressed with the presentation and colors of the dish, and the taste didn't disappoint either.  The meat melted right off the ribs, and was tender, but a little too buttery for my liking.  The papaya salad was good, but the sweet chili sauce was a bit too spicy for me.  The salad didn't taste particularly Vietnamese, lacking in some flavors - fish sauce, vinegar, etc. - but it was probably adjusted for the Australian palate, which I suppose is a good thing.  The refreshing but spicy salad balanced the heavier lamb, so overall, it was a good combination.  The gnocchi dish was also tasty, and the gnocchi pasta was chewy and the perfect texture.

For dessert, we all had one of Pat and Stick's ice cream sandwiches served with strawberries and their vanilla bean cream, the latter of which tasted like cheesecake filling!  It was probably the cream cheese or marscapone with the vanilla bean that gave it the flavor.  Mmm, delish!  The ice cream sandwich itself was also really yummy.  I had the Espresso Lace, which is a crunchy oat and almond cookie with espresso ice cream.  No artificial flavors or preservatives are added (two things I loathe), and everything does taste non-artificial, so I give them an overall 4.5/5.  Also, the ice cream somehow didn't melt very quickly, so I savored my dessert slowly without making a mess!

Although Moray Cafe has rather dim lighting and makes an effort to look like a nice restaurant, in the end, it is a casual restaurant.  We agreed that the portions for some of the dishes (ie. gnocchi) were a bit small (especially for a guy!), but the food was probably a 3.5 or 4 out of 5.  The service was decent, though I wish they would refrigerate their water!  The tap for water out of the wall doesn't look rustic, it just looks dirty...
Price: 20-25AUD/person for dinner | $$
Rating: 3.5/5

Moray Cafe (Website)
1/158 Moray St.
New Farm, QLD
Moray Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment